In the past ten years we have become a culture obsessed with fitness and exercise, and much of this can be blamed on the CrossFit revolution. With “boxes” popping up in countries around the world, it is almost impossible to get away from this fitness craze. There are now more than 15,000 boxes in 162 countries and the rampant growth is showing no signs of slowing down.
Not only are various workout repetitions constantly running around in our heads, some of us are even guilty of getting in some squats when we bend down to pick up a fallen pencil. We decided to look around and see if there are any other warning signs that might indicate an obsession with CrossFit.
Keep reading to see if any of these signs apply to you.
Signs That You Are Obsessed with CrossFit
- You constantly use “we” to describe your workout. “We are the machine, we don’t use them” is a perfect example of this new vocabulary trend.
- In between constantly thinking about CrossFit, you find yourself craving a continual supply of bacon and coffee.
- You believe a set of squats can fix any problem. And if a series of repetitions isn’t enough, just add bacon.
- Your CrossFit shoes are your standard footwear no matter the occasion. After all you might be required to show off your endurance and strength training skills even at a funeral.
- You simply can’t understand what is wrong with a continual supply of bacon and coffee.
- Your Facebook page is dedicated to all things CrossFit, and your friends actually think that you keep sending them to a fitness site.
- You don’t care that everyone calls CrossFit a cult. After all, it is a good and healthy cult, and you simply want to convert everyone to a life dedicated to repetitious workouts.
- You are still trying to convince nutritionists that bacon is the source all things good.
- Being told that these are only workouts and not a lifestyle makes you feel misunderstood and angry.
- You constantly try to convince family and friends to try a workout with you.
- You’ve tried every CrossFit shoe out there, including the wacky barefoot ones!
- You know the difference between the Nike Metcon 4 and the Reebok Nano 8.
- If you’ve tried at least 6 iterations of the Reebok Nano Series (there are currently 8 of them)
- You know what a nasty girls workout is
- If you can name 5 athletes who’ve competed in the CrossFit Games
- You can name the Biggest Loser trainer who loves CrossFit
And the biggest sign that CrossFit has taken over your life is when “date night” consists of an evening spent doing squats and lifts, along with a big serving of bacon.
Even More Signs that You Might Have a CrossFit Obsession
For more fun signs that you or a friend might be obsessed with CrossFit, please click on the supplied link below. We look forward to hearing any of your funny stories concerning your obsession with CrossFit, or if you simply think bacon and coffee can help you power your way to fitness.
Why are People Obsessed with CrossFit?
It’s a great question and we’re sure you want to know why people who do CrossFit like it so much. There are a few theories that we’ll share with you about this important question! CrossFit obsession: it really is a thing.
Reason #1: The Community
At regular gyms, you might go work out there almost every day for months and not really form any meaningful relationships with your fellow gym-goers. In the CrossFit world, this is almost impossible. You will make new friends and get a serious dose of inspiration from the people around you, and not just your coaches.
And, it’s not just a workout, but it’s a lifestyle that encompasses everything from gear to diet, and more.
Reason #2: Physical Results
Take a look at the athletes at the CrossFit Games. They’re ripped, both the men and the women in a big way. So, if you’re serious about losing weight, building muscle, or training for something like admission to the police or fire academy, then CrossFit might certainly be the way to go.
And it’s not just about physical appearance. These kinds of workouts are all about functional fitness, meaning that you’ll be faster, stronger and more capable of doing just about any kind of physical activity after doing this kind of training for even just a month or two.
Reason #3: It’s Never the Same Thing Twice
It can get pretty boring to go the gym and do the same old thing every single workout, right? It’s not just mental, but your body adapts and you won’t get the same results you did at the beginning.
The good thing about CrossFit is that you can go years and never do the same workout. Sure, there are some benchmark WODs that you can use to measure how fit you are, and to compare yourself with other athletes, but for normal training? It’ll always be different, which perhaps leads to some of the excellent results that this sport is producing.
Reason #4: The CrossFit Games
Do you enjoy watching the top athletes in whatever sport you like to do compete against each other? That’s one of the main appeals of the CrossFit world—the drama and excitement of the CrossFit Games. Even getting there isn’t easy, and Dave Castro, the organizer of the games always promises a spectacle!
Reason #5: Who Does CrossFit
Sure, you maybe see the top stars at the Games and think that you can never do this sport. You may also see the best tennis players in the world at Wimbledon, but then still go play tennis with your friends, right? Sure, there’s a huge gap in abilities and results, but it doesn’t have to stop you from getting started.
In reality, CrossFit people come from all walks of life and start in all kinds of physical conditions. And people who do CrossFit have a huge range of abilities. A good coach is able to adapt the exercises within a WOD to accommodate this.
If you’re out of shape, check in with your local box to see if they have scaled down beginner classes for people like you. A lot of boxes do! More tips here: How to Get Ready for CrossFit.
Why CrossFit? Let Us Know?
Why do you CrossFit instead of other sports or athletic activities? Leave a comment below and let us know.
Obsessed with CrossFit?
Is Being Obsessed with CrossFit a Problem?
Okay, so you’ve pled guilty to many of the signs from our list above and are maybe even addicted to CrossFit. Is this really a big problem? In general, exercising a lot is certainly a good thing! However, it could be too much if…
- Your family or friends starts to complain that they never see you
- You’re a women and you stop having periods
- You find yourself getting injured more often than normal. This is often an indication of overtraining
- You’re not giving yourself some rest days
- You’ve given up relationships or jobs because of training
- It’s all that you think about
What’s the solution? Take a day or two off each week in order to let your body recover from your serious workouts. Also be sure to maintain a healthy balance between exercise and other things in life.
Remember, it’s not worth sacrificing your relationships or your health for any sort of sport. Everything in moderation!
What are your Thoughts about CrossFit Obsession?
How do you know if you’re obsessed with CrossFit? Leave a comment below and tell us your top sign, or some quirky thing that you do that your friends and family all complain about.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest. It’ll help other fitness buffs, like yourself find this useful resource.
Latest posts by Tony Calder (see all)
- Best Adjustable Kettlebell Sets: Out Top 6 Picks to Get your Workout On! - August 19, 2019
- Crossfit and Steroids: A Big Problem at the CrossFit Games? - August 7, 2019
- What to Eat Before CrossFit | CrossFit Nutrition - August 1, 2019