Are you looking for some top-quality box jump boxes that are ideal for CrossFit workouts? Then you’ll certainly want to consider Bound who make some of the best plyometric box sets in the business.
Read our buying guide, packed with information to help you decide if they’re the right plyo boxes for you.
- Perfect for box jumps, step-ups, box squats, and CrossFit workouts
- Plywood - 3/4 inch thick. Assembly screws, glue, and square-drive bit are included.
- Flatpacked requires assembly. Basic DIY skills required.
- Tight Fitting design requires Rubber Mallet for assembly. This makes box extremely strong even...
- Pre-drilled holes makes it quick to assemble. 10-15 minute assembly time with a power screwdriver.
An Introduction to the Bound 3-in-1 Wood Plyometric Box Set
If you’re looking for one of the best plyometric box sets out there, then look no further. This one from Bound is our top choice for a number of reasons. The things we love most are the very reasonable price, combined with the top-quality durability of these boxes. You should still be using these things in 10 years from now, even with heavy use at a gym or CrossFit box for example.
Bound plyo boxes come in sets of 3, in a wide range of heigh options. You can get them as short as 12 inches and as high as 30 inches. There’s certainly something for everyone here, from the CrossFit newbie to athletes at the CrossFit Games.
One of the other reasons we like this cheap ply box is that you can buy it assembled, or you can do it yourself. You’ll save money by doing it at home, but we like having the option for people who lack skills or tools to build it.
One of the Top Choices for CrossFit Box Jumps
If you’re looking for a set of jump boxes, then the Bound 3-in-1 set makes a great choice. Keep on reading to find out all the details you need to know.
- Comes in a set of 3
- Available in various heights, in inches (12-14-16, 16-18-20, 16-20-24, 20-24-30).
- You can buy them pre-assembled, or as a kit that you have to assemble yourself (basic DIY skills required for this option)
- The price varies on the height, and whether or not it’s pre-assembled
- Ideal for box jumps, step-ups, box squats or other exercises during a CrossFit Wod
- Tight fitting design requires a rubber mallet for assembly. The result? It’s stronger than boxes that use screws or glue
- Made in the USA
- Made from construction grade, 3/4″ plywood
- Edges are well sanded
- 400 pound maximum recommended weight
- Assembly takes 10-30 minutes
Shop Now for the Best Plyometric Box Set
Does it sound like the best ply box for your needs? Click the button below to learn more about it on Amazon and don’t forget to check and see if it’s eligible for free shipping with a Prime membership:
Why Consider a Plyometric Box Set?
There are a number of reasons why you might consider getting yourself a set of ply boxes for home use, or taking advantage of the ones you see at the gym. Here are just a few of the things that you can use them for:
- Box jumps during CrossFit workouts
- Elevated push-ups
- Burpee box jumps
- Bulgarian split squats
- Tricep dips
- Pistol squat progression
- Calf raises
- Rapid jumps
25 Plyo Box Exercises
If you want to do a plyometric box workout, then check out this short video below for 25 of the top exercises:
What do People Think About these Plyometric Boxes for CrossFit?
“These are really nice looking boxes that are super strong. I get my clients doing kettlebells on them and it’s close to the weight limit, but so far, no problems at all. I keep a few of them stacked around my gym for people to put phones or water bottles on and they look really nice and classy.”
“Reasonably easy to put together in about 15 minutes per box with a few simple materials. It’s obvious that this product is extremely well made. I love the fact that it comes in a set so I can progress with my box jumps as I gain more confidence. It’s a nice addition to any home gym.”
“Nice, sturdy and reasonably priced plyo box. The instructions could be a wee bit better, but that’s just about my only complaint. It certainly saved me a ton of time from making them myself. And I see that the company also ships them preassembled (for a higher price) if you don’t have any DIY skills or the tools to do it.”
- A ton of options for sizing of ply boxes
- Comes unassembled, or pre-assembled (prices vary)
- Reasonably priced
- Durable and no reports of collapsing within the recommend weight range (400 pounds)
- Excellent customer service
- Rounded edges for safety
- The highest set contains the CrossFit Rx standard for men and women (30 inches and 24 inches)
- Assembly instructions could be a bit better
- Does require some basics tools to build them (rubber mallet for example)
Are there Other Plyometric Box Sets to Consider?
There are most certainly other options to consider, including adjustable ply boxes, collapsible ply boxes and soft plyometric boxes. Here are some of our top picks:
The Takeaway on the Bound 3-in-1 Plyometric Box Set
In terms of quality, durability and price, the Bound ply box set is certainly a winner. Combine that with how easy it is to assemble and the fact that they’ll probably last a lifetime, this set gets our solid recommendation.
Where Can I Get this Step Up Box?
Does it sound like the right ply box for you? Check it out for yourself over on Amazon by clicking the button below:
Can I Make my Own Box for CrossFit Box Jumps?
If you’re handy with the tools, it’s certainly easy enough to make your own plyometric boxes. It does take a little bit of time, but the actual design and execution isn’t that difficult. Quick tip from us: Just be sure to sand your box down well because you certainly don’t want to get any splinters when you’re doing box jumps or other exercises.
Check out this video for all the tips and directions you need to know for making your own wooden ply box:
Plyo Box Heights
If you’re wondering which sizing option you should get for your plyometric boxes, then consider this. It’s whatever you’re comfortable using! If you’re a beginner, or a woman, then opt for one of the shorter ones. And if you’re more advanced, and a male, then opt for the taller ones.
However, at the CrossFit Games and in most CrossFit workouts, these are the standard plyo box heights that are used:
Men: 30 inches
Women: 24 inches
Are there any Ply Box Alternatives?
If you don’t want to spend the money getting yourself another piece of fitness equipment, you may have some things lying around your house already that could work. Here are some of the top plyometric box alternatives to consider:
- Build your own out of some scrap wood
- Weight bench
- Sturdy chair
- Desk or table
- Picnic table
- Concrete block
However, some of these things hurt more than others should you happen to bang your shins on them. Try to find something with smooth, rounded edges, or consider investing on a CrossFit Shin Guard.
Have your Say about this Bound Plyometric Box Set Review
What are your thoughts about this plyo box set that’s ideal for CrossFit workouts? Is it the right option for you, or are you considering another brand, or even making your own. Let us know by leaving a comment below. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter. It’ll help other CrossFit enthusiasts, like yourself find this useful resource.
Latest posts by John James (see all)
- New Balance Men’s MX20v7 Minimus Cross-Training Shoes Review - September 9, 2019
- CrossFit Shin Guard: Top 5 Picks to Consider - August 28, 2019
- Goat Tape Review: The World’s Stickiest Workout Tape? - August 23, 2019
Last update on 2019-09-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API