As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. What does this mean? I recommend products (only ones that I like) and if you purchase a product through that link, I earn some money.
If you’re looking to protect your shins during CrossFit workouts, then you’re certainly in the right place. They can get all torn up during rope climbing, box jumps, deadlifts, or other kinds of exercises. You can find plenty of options from knee high socks to Rock Tape, but we usually recommend CrossFit shin guards.
We’ll get into our top choices for CrossFit Shin Guards, but here’s a sneak peak at some of our favourite products.
- RockTape RockGuards
- Burpee Box Jumps Shin Guard
- Knee High CrossFit Socks
- Goat Tape
- Knee Sleeves
- Bear Grips Shin Sleeves
#1: RockTape RockGuards
- PROTECTION FROM ROPE CLIMBS AND BOX JUMPS - RockGuards are designed to protect your shins during...
- DURABLE SHIN GUARD - 3rd generation RockGuards are made with strong and protective 5mm neoprene...
- STAYS IN PLACE - Organically designed to conform and move with your body, with a silicone bead to...
- DRAINS & DRIES FAST - A mesh back and perforated neoprene front means you stay comfortable and dry....
- PERFORM YOUR BEST - Don’t stop training because of an injury or staph infection (they happen in...
If you need some extra protection for the shins during your next WOD, then consider these RockTape Shin Sleeves. They’re some of the best in the business and many CrossFit swear by them for a variety of exercises, including rope work, deadlifts, or box jumps.
Here are just a few of the things that you’ll love about them.
Key Features of this CrossFit Shin Guard
- Made from super strong neoprene
- 4-way stretch Lycra for a great fit
- Designed to stay in place with the foot strap
- Quick drying
- Drains easily for something like a wet obstacle race
- Ideal for preventing injuries
- 2″ zipper makes them easy to put on and remove
Where Can I Get Rocktape Shin Guards?
Do they sound like the right CrossFit shin guard for you? Check them out for yourself on Amazon to find the best prices. And, don’t forget to check and see if they’re eligible for free shipping with a Prime membership:
Learn More about Rock Tape Rock Guards
Do you want to find out more about one of the most popular choices for CrossFit shin protection? Then you’ll want to check out this short video on YouTube for all the details you need to know:
#2: Burpee Box Jumps Shin Guards
If you’re looking for another top pick for shin guards for rope climbs and more, then consider the Burpee Box Jump ones. They’re strong, durable and fit most people very well. Just be sure to check the sizing chart carefully in order to find the best one for your needs.
Here are some of the things we love about them.
- 5 mm neoprene
- Ideal for CrossFit, weightlifting, rope climbs, box jumps and more
- Perfect for protecting the shins during a tough workout
- Durable and long-lasting
- Stays in place well
- Cool and comfortable to wear
Shop Now for this CrossFit Shin Guard
Do they sound like the right pair of shin protectors CrossFit for your needs? Then you’ll want to click the button below to learn more about them on Amazon:
#3: Knee High Socks
- BETTER BLOOD CIRCULATION, NO SWELLING ANY MORE - Graduated firm compression 20-30 mmHg pressure,...
- A COMPLETE GAME-CHANGER - The compression socks are best choice for those jobs which require long...
- HIGH-QUALITY FASHIONABLE COMPRESSION SOCKS - These quality compression socks are made with a perfect...
- PUSH YOURSELF TO EXTRA MILE- Amazing Level of Comfort and Breathable Fabric, Perfect for any season!...
- 100% RISK-FREE & SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - We are confident that you will be fully satisfied with...
If you find that shins are getting torn up, but you don’t need a ton of protection, then you’ll want to consider a pair of knee-high socks. Take a look around your local CrossFit box, or at the CrossFit Games, you’ll find that there are a ton of people wearing these things.
They do have the advantage of a CrossFit Shin Guard in that most people find them more comfortable to wear. They’re usually cool and something that you’re already familiar with wearing.
Plus, you probably already have a pair in your drawer at home and you won’t have to go out and buy some CrossFit shin sleeves. It’s certainly worth a try before you go out and drop some cash on something else.
Which Knee High CrossFit Socks do you Recommend?
If you want to see our top picks for socks that do a great job at protecting the shins during CrossFit or deadlifts, then you’ll want to check this out:
There are lots of people who find that their feet get too hot and sweaty wearing these high socks. A nice solution is to keep a pair in your gym bag and then just pull them out when you need a wee bit of extra shin protection. For example, when you’re doing the rope climb.
#4: Goat Tape for Skin Protection CrossFit
If you’re looking for protection during a CrossFit workout for any part of your body including the hands, shins, or anywhere else, then you’ll want to consider Goat Tape. The company calls it scary sticky, and in our experience it’s some of the stickiest athletic tape out there.
Try putting some on the area that usually gets torn up when you’re doing deadlifts, box jumps, or other exercises. Just a quick tip though. We recommend shaving that area first to avoid a lot of painful, ripping hairs out of the leg experiences when you’re taking it off.
If you find that the exact same spot on your shin gets ripped up when climbing a rope for example, you probably don’t need something as robust as Rocktape Shin Sleeves and could get away with this cheaper, more convenient option.
Learn more about it here: Goat Tape for CrossFit Review.
#5: Knee Sleeves: Rope Climbing Shin Guards?
- ✅ PREMIUM 7MM KNEE SLEEVES (1 Pair): Featuring 7mm Neoprene Flex-Material designed for maximum...
- ✅ KNEE COMPRESSION & SUPPORT: Our 3-D design provides a contoured fit for perfect joint...
- ✅ ANTI-SLIP TECHNOLOGY: The knee sleeve upper limit features double silicone gel strips to lock...
- ✅ PREVENT INJURY: Knee sleeves reduce pressure and swelling during activity proven to promote...
- ✅ SIZING CHART: Please use sizing chart in listing images to order the correct size. You need...
If you’re serious about weightlifting, you may already have a pair of knee sleeves in your gym bag. Or, you may have some old ones lying around the house that you could call into action to protect your shins.
Pay close attention to where your shins usually get busted up during rope climbs, for example and move your knee sleeves down to that area. Your knees really don’t need protection and support during this kind of exercise, so one piece of equipment can actually do double duty.
Some people keep them in place if they’re going to be doing a lot of rope climbs, for example with a little piece of athletic tape.
We’ve done the hard work and found the best knee sleeves for you here. Check it out: The Best CrossFit Knee Sleeves.
#6: Bear Grips CrossFit Shin Sleeves
- 5 mm thickness Soft Neoprene Guard side (FRONT) . Contouring Backside with BEAR GRIPS print (Back)
- Stop wearing high socks for cross fitness, deadlifts, box jumps, ocr races, no need to tuck your...
- Easy Fit Zipper on lateral side of sleeve for easy put on and removal, Elastic Foot Harness for...
- Silicone Band on Top of sleeve to keep it from sliding down. Keeps Shins protected during...
- OUR PROMISE: 60 DAYS WARRANTY ON ALL PRODUCTS. We want you to be 100% SATISFIED with our product...
If you want to keep your shins safe during a CrossFit workout, then you may want to consider these shin sleeves from Bear Grips. They make a ton of top-notch workout equipment and their shin guard sleeves are certainly no exception. Find out more about them here.
- 5 mm thickness
- Ideal for rope climbs, box jumps, deadlifts, Olympic lifts, biking, etc.
- Available in a variety of colors
- XS-XL sizing options
- Easy fit zipper on the lateral side makes them easy to put on and take off
- Elastic foot harness ensures a great fit
- 60 day warranty
- Excellent customer service
What do People Think About Them?
“Does an awesome job at protecting my shins when climbing ropes or doing box jumps. But, one small weakness is the zipper on the side. I wish it were a bit bigger so I could grab onto it more easily.”
“Super comfortable to wear and I’m able to forget about my shins during Olympic lifting. I used to come away from sessions all bloody and torn up but no more! Nice product for a very reasonable price.”
Get Yours Today
Do they sound like the right option for you? Many people swear by these shin sleeves, so you should certainly check them out for yourself. Click the button below to find the best prices and also to see if they’re eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
The Takeaway on Which CrossFit Shin Guard to Consider
Shin protection f0r deadlifts or CrossFit workouts is serious business. If you don’t take care of this important thing, you might find that your shins are left bloody, torn up and in bad shape. Not to mention bruised and sore!
It makes sense to use some sort of shin protection. But, as far as Goat Tape, knee-high socks, knee sleeves or shin guards go, you’ll have to find the one that works best for you.
Our best advice is to try what you already have. Most people have a pair of high socks at home. Or, some athletic tape like Goat Tape. You might already be using knee guards that could do double duty as shin guards. Some people even find that a pair of soccer shin guards work well if you have these at home already. Try out these options and see if they do the job for you.
If not, then consider buying a pair of Rock Guards or other shin guards. Although not cheap, these options work very well. They stay in place easily and offer a ton of protection, but are very comfortable to wear.
How do I Prevent my Shins From Getting Torn up in the First Place?
When you’re doing CrossFit, the most common exercise to tear up your shins doing is the rope climb. However, experienced CrossFitters often don’t have the same problems with this as newbies. This is because they’re usually using the proper technique.
Check in with your coach, or watch some videos on YouTube about the correct way to do this exercise and you’ll find that it’s not as hard on your body. Also, rope choice plays a role in this too. Some are certainly softer than other ones. Check out our top picks here: CrossFit Climbing Ropes.
Bloody shins from deadlifts are another common problem. But again, this is often caused by incorrect technique more than anything else. Check in with your trainer for some help with this and you’ll find that many of these problems disappear.
CrossFit Rope Climbing Techniques
If you’re looking for some shin protectors CrossFit, it may be because your legs are getting all torn up when doing the rope climb. You are certainly not alone in this and many people suffer from the same problem.
However, much pain can be averted by using proper technique during this exercise. Check out this short video for everything you need to know about rope climb technique:
Have your Say about the Best Shin Guards for CrossFit
What’s your top pick for CrossFit Shin Protection? Are you considering one of the the options from this list, or do you have another one. Leave a comment below and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other CrossFit enthusiasts, like yourself find this useful resource.
Latest posts by John James (see all)
- Josh Bridges CrossFit: Stats, Results, Diet and Workout Tips (+ More!) - November 1, 2019
- Best CrossFit Gloves for Workouts | CrossFit Gear - October 8, 2019
- Nike Metcon 5 Review: The Best CrossFit Shoes? - October 1, 2019
Last update on 2019-11-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API