Are you looking to get yourself a top-quality training shoe at a very reasonable price? Then you’ll certainly want to consider the Nike Retaliation TR training shoe. It’s durable, supportive and ideal for a range of workouts, including CrossFit, HIIT, T25 or light lifting.
Read our buying guide, packed with information to help you decide if they’re the right training shoe from Nike for your needs.
- Mesh upper offers lightweight breathability
- Fly wire cables provide a locked-down fit
- Sandwich mesh tongue for a comfortable fit
- Strategically placed rubber on the outsole offers excellent multi-surface grip
- Rubber toe tip provides durability and grip during training exercises such as planks and push ups
An Introduction to the Nike Retaliation Training Shoes
The Nike Men’s Retaliation TR Training Shoes are one of our top picks for workout shoes. Although you could certainly use them outside, they’re actually designed for workouts at the gym and excel at this. They are light and flexible enough to handle sprints, or a warm-up on the treadmill. And they’re also sturdy and supportive enough for lifting.
Besides that, they have a breathable mesh upper that’ll keep your feet cool, dry and comfortable. In short, they’re a great workout shoe for men that should be at the top of your list of ones to consider. Keep on reading to find out more about this popular Nike cross trainer.
- Light in weight
- Variety of colours and styles
- Nice amount of traction on the outsole
- Neutral arch support
- Fits true to size
- Ideal for people with medium-width feet
- Breathable mesh upper
- Dual-density foam midsole
- Lace-up closure
- Flywire cables for lots of support
- Heel counter ideal for lifting
Shop Now for the Best Nike Workout Shoes
Do these sound like the right pair of training shoes for you? Click the button below to learn more about them and to check for the best prices. Oh yeah, and don’t forget to check and see if they’re eligible for free shipping with a Prime membership:
Nike Men’s Retaliation TR Training Shoe Pros:
- Lots of grip
- Light in weight
- Sturdy, supportive heel that makes them ideal for lifting
- Comfortable to wear for long periods of time
- Reasonably priced
Nike Men’s Retaliation TR Training Shoes Cons:
- Some reports that it lacked cushioning
- Narrow toe box may not be ideal for heavy lifting
- May be difficult to find specific color and size options
Nike Retaliation TR Review
What do People Think about the Nike Retaliation Sneakers?
“These are actually pretty similar to the Nike Metcons, just a little bit less sturdy. There’s some weight to them in the heel and they’re light enough for sprints. Overall, a nice gym shoe and ideal for a wide range of workouts.”
“Nothing bad to say about them at all. A pretty nice gym shoe at a good price. Well, just one small complaint. The style is nothing to write home about and they’re kind of a plain gym shoe.”
“Great cross-trainer and similar to many other nike trainers. They’re supportive, comfortable to wear all day at work or whatever and have a ton of great grip on the floor.”
Are these Shoes Ideal for CrossFit?
- Haptic print provides durability and stability.
- Flywire technology delivers a locked-down fit.
- Drop-in midsole provides a stable fit and feel.
- TPU heel counter provides stability for lateral movements like side lunges and shuttle drills.
- Tri-star pattern helps provide traction for multidirectional movement.
If you take a look around your CrossFit box, or check in with your trainer, you’ll find that there is a huge variety of shoes on people’s feet. You can see everything from minimal shoes to heavier lifting shoes.
Of course, most people stick with CrossFit shoes, or cross trainers like these ones we’ve just reviewed. That’s because you may encounter a ton of different exercises during a WOD, everything from running and jumping to climbing and lifting. You’ll want a shoe that’s up to the challenge.
So, what about the Nike Retaliation and the Retaliation 2? They certainly make a nice choice for this style of high-intensity workout. They’re light enough for sprints, durable enough for rope climbing, and sturdy enough for powerlifting.
However, one small complaint we have is about the lack of rope-guard on the sides of them. This means that if you do a lot of rope-climbing during your workouts, your shoes may get torn up a little bit more quickly than you might want. Not a huge deal, but something to consider. It’s for this reason that we give the slight edge to these specialized CrossFit shoes for this kind of workout:
Are they Ideal for Running?
- Running shoes with pillow-soft cushioning for all-day comfort
- Women's-specific fit; Lace closure
- Knit textile upper for breathability
- Cloudfoam memory sockliner molds to the foot for superior step-in comfort
- Combined Cloudfoam midsole and outsole for step-in comfort and superior cushioning
If you’re looking for a pair of shoes to run your next marathon in, these ones may not be it. In general, you’ll want running shoes that are super light in weight, and that also have a heel to toe differential of close to 10 mm. This is so that your shoes will propel your body in a forward motion.
However, these cross trainers are designed for more of an all-round workout. They are a bit low in the heel, too heavy and also too sturdy for running. Plus, they don’t have the serious padding and shock absorbing features that running shoes do. If you want to see some of our top recommendations for running shoes that can go the distance, then you’ll want to check this out:
What about the Nike Retaliation TR 2?
If you take a look over on Amazon, you’ll probably notice that the the Nike Retaliation TR 2 is now available. Although the design is slightly different (in a better way!), in reality, the TR 2 is very similar to the first edition. And you actually couldn’t go wrong with either of these popular options.
Want to learn more about the Nike Retaliation TR 2? Check them out over on Amazon, and don’t forget to check and see if they’re eligible for free shipping with a Prime membership:
The Takeaway on the Nike Retaliation TR Men’s Cross Training Shoe?
If you’re looking for a pair of reasonably priced cross-training shoes, then the Nike Retaliations. Are they one of the best Nike Training Shoes? They’re certainly in the running.
These shoes have some excellent customer reviews on Amazon and other places online. Some people even like them so much that they have bought multiple pairs of them. They have a reasonable amount of support and manage to strike a nice balance between this and also being light in weight and flexible.
Where Can I Find Them?
Are they the best Nike cross training shoes? They are certainly ones to consider. If you want to find out more about these popular training shoes from Nike, then click the button below:
Have your Say about this Nike Retaliation TR Review
What are your thoughts about the Nike Retaliation TR and the Nike Retaliation TR 2 training shoes? Are they worth considering, or you have your eye on another Nike model, or a different brand? Leave a comment below. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter. It’ll help other workout enthusiasts, like yourself find this useful resource.
Latest posts by Brian Westen (see all)
- Ryan Elrod: All the Details you Need to Know about this CrossFit Athlete - October 8, 2019
- WodWax Review: The Best CrossFit Grip Enhancer? - August 22, 2019
- Adidas CrazyPower TR Cross-Training Shoe Review - August 13, 2019
Last update on 2019-10-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API