An Introduction to Nike CrossFit Shoes
Nike offers consumers with a variety of options regarding CrossFit shoes. The offerings range from minimalist running shoes to lifting shoes to shoes expressly designed for the fitness regimen of CrossFit.
Three of the most popular of the offerings have the ability to transfer from a variant of activities with ease and are the following: Nike Free X Metcon, Nike Metcon 2, and the Nike Flex Trainer for Women. They certainly belong on any list of best shoes for CrossFit.
Here’s a sneak peak at some of our featured shoes:
- Nike Free X Metcon
- Metcon 4
- Nike DSX Flyknit 2
- Zoom Domination Trainers
- Nike Free
- Metcon 2
- Nike Women’s Flex Trainer
- Flex Supreme
- Nike Zoom Fit
- Metcon DSX
- Nike Metcon DSX Repper
Nike is one of the most trusted brands for athletic footwear. Read more to find out if these CrossFit Sneakers from Nike are right for you.
Nike Free X Metcon Cross-Trainers
If you’re looking for best CrossFit shoes, the Free X Metcon should be right at the top of your list (like it is ours). It’s a cross between the light and flexible Free series and the more supportive and stable Metcons. This ends up making it one of the best pairs of CrossFit sneakers on the market today.
Here are a few of the things you’ll love about it.
Key Features of these Functional Sneakers
- TPU mesh upper for flexibility as well as breathability
- Dual density midsole for excellent stability and shock absorption
- Flex grooves help with transitions from movement to movement
- Flywire technology adds support and helps make it a custom fit
- Comfortable booties
What Do People Think About these Crosstrainers?
“I’ve been looking for the ultimate pair of CrossFit sneakers for years and ran across these ones on the recommendation of my trainer. The second I put them on, I knew I had a winner. Very light in weight and feels kind of like a running shoe. However, a lower differential and stable enough to lift weights in. Never going back to the Reebok Nanos again!”
“I have a difficult time finding workout shoes because I have low arches and suffer from bouts of plantar fasciitis. These ones did the trick though and they’re comfortable enough to wear the entire day at work when I’m on my feet on cement. Love them.”
“They look like nice enough to wear for casual use, but they’re actually a serious workout sneaker with very durable construction. Nice job Nike!”
Where to Buy Them?
Do they sound like the best Nike CrossFit shoes? They might work well for you. Check on Amazon.com for the lowest prices:
Nike Metcon 4
- Breathable mesh upper features an innovative, synthetic textured print for added reinforcement.
- Flywire built into the lacing system helps keep the foot secure and locked into place.
- Fully cushioned collar with a slim and flexible tongue. Soft and breathable fabric linings.
- Sticky rubber outsole delivers optimal traction and grip and delivers long-lasting durability and...
- A heel clip helps stabilizes during side-to-side movements
Another top pick for CrossFit Nike shoes is the Metcon 4. Along with the popular Nano series, the Metcon 4 is often what you’ll find on the feet of people during CrossFit workouts.
Some people have made the switch to these shoes because of the wider toe box, grippy sole that doesn’t squeak and the fact that they’re so comfortable it feels like you’re wearing house slippers on your feet.
Key Features of the Metcon 4’s
- Mesh upper for increased breathability (an improvement from previous versions)
- Flywire lacing system keeps the feet locked in place
- Comfortable tongue and collar
- Firm heel counter reduces drag
- Heel clip adds stability on lateral movements
- 4 mm heel-toe drop
- Rubber sole assists with rope climbing
- Additional material in the areas that experience the most wear and tear
- Light in weight
- Roomy in the forefoot
What do People Think About Them?
“Probably the best pair of gym shoes that I’ve ever used. Super comfortable, with a low heel that makes them a nice option for squats or deadlifts. But, a little bit of lift makes them decent for cardio as well. Love these things and I’ll definitely be buying another pair when these wear out.”
“Flexible and airy upper, but a beefy sole. Cool colors and designs and this shoe is a serious win for Cross-Fit workouts. CrossFit equipment of the year?”
“Lots of cushioning and nice level of arch support. Nice traction, but could use a bit more ventilation. I’m not sure my feet have ever been so sweaty at the end of a tough workout.”
Where Can I Get Them?
You can easily get these top-quality workout shoes online. Check now for the best prices and deals on shipping:
Nike Zoom Domination Cross Training Shoes
- Flywire technology provides lockdown for a secure fit.
- Zoom Air unit provides responsive cushioning.
- Aggressive tread pattern offers multi-surface traction.
- Rubber pods on the outsole enhance durability.
If you’re looking for a pair of top-quality training shoes that are ideal for CrossFit or gym workouts, then you may also want to consider the Nike Zoom Domination Shoes. They’re durable, grippy and have a really nice fit.
Although they’re technically cross trainers, they are actually closer to weightlifting shoes than running shoes. This makes this ideal for workouts heavy on the weights, but lighter on the sprints, cardio or things like box jumps. They can handle a bit of this, but lots of it and your feet will probably be pretty uncomfortable.
- Breathable mesh upper
- Grippy rubber sole gives great traction on a variety of surfaces
- Flywire lacing technology gives a very secure fit
- Zoom air units provide responsive cushioning
- Rubber pods on the outsole add extra durability
- TPU heel cage
“Very comfortable fit and a great shoe to take to the gym for lifting, or cardio. I’ve seen people wear these for Cross Fit workouts as well”
“Not a lot of padding so don’t go for a long run in them. But, they’re ideal for squats or deadlifts. I love the all-black design…kind of a nice, clean look to them.”
“Toe box was a little bit tight for me, but a decent weightlifting or gym shoe. They’re flexible enough for cardio and have a reasonable amount of padding for things like box jumps.”
Where to Get Them?
You can easily find these trainers online. Check now for the best prices on Nike sneakers, along with deals that may include free shipping:
Nike Metcon DSX FlyKnit 2
- Flyknit upper uses high-tenacity yarns for superior durability
- Flywire technology integrates into the laces for a dynamic fit
- Drop-in midsole design provides a stable fit and feeling
- Stretch fabric in the tongue, vamp and collar add flexibility
Next up on our list of the best Nike CrossFit shoes is the DSK Flyknit. It’s actually quite similar to the Metcon 4, but it has a bootie like fit, compared to regular tongue and collar for the Metcon 4.
It also has a slightly higher heel (6 mm vs 4 mm), which makes it a slighty better option for running and sprinting than the Metcon 4. However, it’s still flat and stable enough to handle some serious weights with ease.
- Breathable mesh upper
- No tongue, but has a bootie style fit
- Flywire cables act as a great stabilizer
- Maintains the reinforcement of the material on the inner side of the shoe, so you do not suffer accidents by climbing the rope.
- Excellent cushioning from the foam
- 6 mm heel drop
- Heel clip
What Do People Think About the Nike Metcon DSX Flyknit?
“I decided to give these a try after using Nobulls which were great for lifting but not for running or jumping, basically all the other stuff that you’d encounter during a CrossFit workout. I’m super happy with them. Still great for the weights, but a bit more flexible for cardio or box jumps.”
“Nice and comfy, especially for lifting and rope climbing. So far, durable as well after a few months with them now.”
“Maybe my all-time favourite pair of CrossFit shoes, far better than the Reebok Nanos that I’d previously been using. Also prefer this to the Nike Metcon 4. Seriously, it’s probably the best pair of cross-trainers that I’ve ever had on my feet!”
Where to Buy Them?
You can easily find these top-quality cross training shoes online. Check now for the lowest prices and also to see if this shoe is eligible for free shipping with a Prime membership:
Nike Free for CrossFit 5.0
This line of CrossFit training shoes generally retails for less than something like the popular Reebok Nano Series. They are highly popular running shoe that has gained great levels of acceptance among CrossFit participants.
Designed for Running, Ideal for CrossFit
The Free shoe line has been expressly designed for running, but their breathability, flexibility and lightweight fit also make them ideal for the CrossFit box. Consumers will need to keep in mind that the shoe line is only able to handle a light amount of lifting. The line will deliver far too little support and too much compression when serious lifting is involved.
Lightweight and Durable
The tread of the Free line is outfitted with a long lasting rubber tread which also allows for the shoe to be bent easily from the inside void of damage. Due to the extreme comfort of the shoes, many participants wear them not only in the gym, but throughout the day. The shoes weigh in at slightly more than 7 ounces.
- Made in the USA
- Synthetic mesh and fabric upper for excellent breathability
- Rubber sole offers excellent traction on jumps or sprints
- Flexible pods on the outsole for a barefoot feeling
- Dynamic fly-wire cables on the upper for extra support and stability
- Support for lateral movements
- Variety of bright colors
- Nice look and feel to them
What People Are Saying about Them
“Love these shoes and they feel really good on my feet. Actually, they’re probably the best pair of sports shoes I’e ever owned. I use them for gym workouts and find that they really excel at providing some great support and traction, but not feeling like lead weights on my feet! The colours and styles are quite nice as well and I always get compliments on them.”
“I love the heel portion on these that don’t dig into my achilles tendon like some other shoes I’ve tried. I’ve taken these hiking on some serious mountains too (along with using at the gym) and they’ve stood up to the test. Overall, I’m very impressed and I’ll be buying another pair once these ones wear out.”
“Excellent grip and a surprising amount of support in the midsole for a kind of minimal shoe, but not too much flex. I use them for CrossFit, gym workouts (cardio and weights), sports with the kids, or even just walks around the neighbourhood. Love the design too.”
Does it sound like the right CrossFit shoe for you? You can check them out on Amazon and you can often get free shipping with a Prime membership.
Nike Metcon 2: One of the Best CrossFit Shoes
The Nike Metcon 2 is one of our best picks for CrossFit shoes. This shoe features the most advanced technology, and although we rarely say this, it’s kind of the perfect shoe for gym workouts.
Ideal for CrossFit
If you’re looking for a pair of CrossFit sneakers, these ones from Nike should be at the top of you list. Take a look around your box and if someone is wearing Nike shoes, it may well be the Nike Metcon 2.
They’re designed for CrossFit, and it’s obvious that the company has put a ton of thought into these things. From the low heel to the fly wire support, to the extra cushioning on the sole, there are a ton of features that makes these things the ideal CrossFit shoe. They can handle jumping, strength workouts, climbing and whatever else you might encounter in your WOD.
Although not a cheap option when compared to some of the other crosstrainers out there, you certainly get what you pay for. Although slightly higher in price, you’re getting a very versatile shoe that’s made for athletes.
- 100% mesh upper for extra breathability and air flow
- Strong flywire cables combine with the laces for a ton of on-demand support in the midsole
- Lightweight foam cushioning can stand up to jumps, sprints, climbs and lifts
- Low heel to toe drop allows explosive power on lifts, and allows you achieve your personal bests on squats
- Solid rubber sole is very grippy and offers excellent traction
- Fashionable and stylish
- Extremely durable and sturdy
- Roomy toe box
Where to Buy Them?
Sounds like the Nike Metcon might be the right shoe for you? You can shop now online:
Nike Metcon 2 Review
What Do People Think About Them?
“I have very wide feet and high arches so have a very difficult time finding shoes that’ll work for me. These ones from Nike are the perfect pair for me. I use them for a variety of gym workouts, and find that they especially excel at lifting. The lower heel makes a huge difference when compared to the running shoes I was using before.”
“These are the best sports shoes I’ve ever owned, and I now have three pairs of them. Just the right amounts of traction, and support, all in a very lightweight package. The durable, somewhat stiff soles offer some great protection on things like box jumps.”
“They’re holding up great after a few months of serious CrossFit workouts and I couldn’t be happier with them. Nice lateral support, light in weight, but they’re mostly for inside use because they’re not waterproof (a ton of mesh on them). I’m happy though because my usually very sweaty feet are cool and comfortable in these things.”
Where to Buy Them?
If you want to try out these shoes for Crossfit, you can check them out over on Amazon:
Nike Women’s Flex Trainer 8: One of the Best Nike CrossFit Shoes
If you’re looking for a very solid pair of crosstrainers from Nike that you can use for a Cross Fit, or other kind of gym workout, then the Flex Trainer should be at the top of your list. They have a ton of features you’ll love and are durable, lightweight and come in a variety of styles and colors including black, grey, etc..
As for how they can handle a Cross Fit workout, they excel at a number of things. They’re light enough to do some sprints, but shock absorbing enough for jumps. The differential makes them a decent choice for lifting, and they’re durable enough for rope climbs. Overall, they work great!
Keep on reading to learn more about them.
- Breathable mesh upper to keep your feet dry and comfortable
- Supportive platform that offers easy movement in any direction
- Integrated flywire cables for support in the midfoot
- A number of skins throughout to enhance durability
- Flex grooves help with lateral motion
What do People Think About Them?
“They fit well, and lightweight and are maybe the perfect gym shoe. I wear mine out for walks and when playing sports with the kids too. They have enough room in the toe box, unlike some of the other CrossFit sneakers I’ve tried. I like the style too!”
“I work in a restaurant so needed a pair of shoes that look nice, as well as grip the floor really well. The Nike Flex Trainers do well at both these things, and my feet are very comfortable at the end of a long shift as well. And durability certainly isn’t an issue with these things…they’ve been going strong for six months now.”
“Flexible, light but still quite supportive, especially in the arch. I love them and am happy I decided to give them a try.”
Shop Now for one of the best Nike CrossFit Shoes for Women
Do they sound like the right pair Nike CrossFit shoes for you? Check them out for yourself online to get the best price (and you’ll usually get deals on shipping with Amazon Prime):
Nike Flex Supreme Training Shoes
- Flywire cables in the forefoot integrate with the laces for a dynamic fit
- Anatomically-placed foam pods on either side of the inner heel provide comfort and prevent heel...
- Hexagonal pattern is hot-knife cut into the outsole enhancing flexibility and 360-degree movement...
- Dual-density foam is fused together to provide customized cushioning where you need it most
- The upper layer offers soft, comfortable support while the lower layer, which also doubles as an...
Another top pick for the best pair of CrossFit sneakers is the Nike Flex Supreme. It’s a very reasonably priced crosstrainer that can handle running, jumping, lifting or climbing.
Most people find that it fits accurately, although a wee bit on the narrow side. So, if you have wider feet, you’ll want to give these ones a pass. But, if you have narrower feet and have a difficult time finding workout shoes, these might be at the top of your list.
- Breathable mesh upper
- Flywire integrated cables keep your feet locked into place well
- Dual-density foam midsole
- Grippy, supportive rubber outsole
- Runs a bit narrow
- Current edition only for women
What do People Think About the Nike Flex Supremes?
“Excellent shoe for wearing to the gym, or for Cross Fit workouts. It’s light in weight, but quite supportive. So far, very durable and I’ve been using them for a few months now.”
“Fits true to size, but also quite narrow. This is ideal for my oddly shaped feet, but you may not like them if you have wider ones. I use mine for all kinds of athletic activities.”
If you’re looking for some reasonably priced gym shoes, these ones should certainly be at the top of your list.
Zoom Fit Cross-Training Shoes
If you’re looking for an affordable pair of workout shoes for the gym, then the Nike Zoom Fit should be at the top of your list. They’re half the price (or even less) than some of the more expensive shoes out there.
But, far from being “cheap,” they’re supportive, durable and most people find that they’re extremely comfortable. Overall, a top-quality shoe at an excellent price.
- Flex grooves for a nice grip on the floor
- Padded tongue and collar
- Light in weight
- Variety of nice designs and colors
- Superior shock absorption
- Mesh upper allows for breathability
- Good level of arch support
What do People Think About Them?
“I’m on my feet all day for work and these are some of the best sneakers that I’ve tried. I love how affordable they are too.”
“Finally, a nice, comfortable and supportive pair of cross-trainers at a very reasonable price. Thank you Nike for offering these ones and I’ll be buying another pair when these wear out for sure.”
Do they sound right for you? Check them out for yourself on Amazon.com and don’t forget to see if they’re eligible for free shipping with a Prime membership:
Nike Metcon DSX
Another top pick for Nike CrossFit shoes is the Metcon DSX Flyknit, a nice offering from the company.
If you’re looking for a lighter, more flexible version of the regular Nike Metcons, the DSX Flyknit is it. This makes them ideal for lifting, but also for sprints, cardio, jumping and climbing. You can learn more about them here:
- Lightweight flyknit for a sock-like fit
- Ideal for people who incorporate running into their workout routine
- Sticky rubber in the forefoot
- Flat platform and firm heel make them ideal for weight lifting
- Insole lining offers a close, custom fit
- Low-profile heel clip reduces drag
- Extra durability in the midsole for rope climbs
- Stylish enough that they clean up nice to wear out and about!
User Reviews and Ratings
“I initially thought that spending more than a hundred bucks on a gym shoe wasn’t worth it, but I got these for a present so had the chance to try them out. Fast forward one year and I’m never going back to normal runners again! These things are awesome for lifting, but flexible and light enough for running.”
“Lighter and more comfortable than the regular Metcons. They mold to my feet a bit better.”
“Fit is great, and they’re also quite flexible. Plus, I’ve gotten a ton of compliments on them—nice design and colors.”
Order your Pair Today
Do the Nike Metcon DSK Flyknit sneakers seem like the right pair for you? You can easily shop online for the best deals:
Nike Metcon DSX Repper
- ON-DEMAND SUPPORT. Super-strong, ultralight Flywire cables integrate with the laces and tighten with...
- LIGHTWEIGHT CUSHIONING. Foam cushioning offers lightweight comfort as you lift, jump, climb and run.
- STABLE PLATFORM. The shoe's flat heel helps you feel stable and connected to the ground during...
- Mesh offers breathable support.
- Solid rubber sole provides excellent traction.
Next up on our list of the best CrossFit shoes from Nike is the Metcon Repper DSX. It’s a solid all-round training shoe that can handle just about anything you throw at it during your next WOD.
Compared to the regular Metcons, it’s a bit more flexible and has a slightly higher heel toe drop, making it a nice choice for workouts with lots of cardio, sprints or jumps.
- New softer cushioning.
- 6mm drop
- New 3mm increase in midsole cushioning
- Outsole flex grooves provide natural movements
- Lightweight Phylon cushioning
- Ortholite insole
- TPU overlays
- Flat heel and interior counter for brilliant stability
- Really strong Flywire cables that create a solid lockdown
- Moderate arch support
- Attractive appearance and design
What do People Think About Them?
“Bit more flexible than other Metcons in my opinion, which makes them a bit nicer for workouts where you have some cardio or sprinting. Still durable and strong enough for rope climbing or lifting.”
“Comparable to the Reebok CrosssFit Speed in my opinion. A cross training shoe that’s light and flexible enough for running in too.”
“Excellent traction and nice level of stability for heavy lifting. More padding than my Metcon 2’s and maybe the best pair of gym shoes that I’ve ever worn. Nicely done!”
Are they the right pair of shoes for you? You can learn more about them here:
Compare CrossFit Shoes
Besides these top picks for the best Nike CrossFit shoes, there are plenty more options out there, including ones from Reebok, New Balance, Inov-8 and Puma.
Please check out this handy comparison chart below for even more products that you might want to consider:
Have your Say about these Nike Shoes for CrossFit
Leave a comment below and let us know what you think about the, Nike Free X Metcon, along with the Nike Metcon 4 and other options. Are they the ultimate shoes for a CrossFit workout? Or, are you considering another brand? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other fitness buffs, like yourself find this useful resource.
Latest posts by Brian Westen (see all)
- Adidas Power Perfect 3 Weightlifting Shoe Review - May 14, 2019
- Nike Revolution 4 Review (Running Shoe) - April 29, 2019
- The Ultimate Guide To Finding the Best Weightlifting Shoe - April 25, 2019
Last update on 2019-05-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API