If you’re looking for the best pull up bar stand, then you’re certainly in the right place. We’re going to give you the rundown on our top 7 picks for free standing pull up bars that are ideal for your home gym. Keep on reading to find out everything you need to know!
Top 7 Pull Up Bar Stands
Do you want to see our top picks for a free-standing pull up bar stand? Then keep on reading for the best ones available on Amazon. Get your home fitness on!
#1: Gold’s Gym Power Tower
- Vertical Knee Raise Station; Step up and discover your inner six pack with this comfortable Vertical...
- Push Up Station; Get the most out of your push up workout with these padded, push up hand grips
- Multi Grip Pull Up Station; Get a grip wide, narrow, side to side and build better, stronger arms...
- Dip Station; Build triceps, chest and shoulder muscles along with incredible upper body strength
Our top pick for a free standing pullup station is this power tower from Gold’s Gym. Not only is it strong and sturdy, but you can do a ton of different exercises with this besides pull-ups. That makes it a serious win in our books and is certainly one to check out.
- Ideal for a range of exercises (knee raises, push-ups, multi-grip pull-ups, and tricep dips)
- Comfortable hand grips
- Not adjustable for height
“Assembly was easy because of the excellent manual with clear directions and pictures. It’s a good height for everyone in our family, but not too tall for the low ceiling in our basement.”
“Some negative reviews mentioned that this thing wobbles a bit. However, if you do the exercises correctly (not using momentum), then it’s no problem at all and it steady. I put it together in about 45 minutes, but the box that is comes in is big and heavy. Get some help if you’re taking it up or down stairs.”
“Nice equipment for the price point. You can’t expect professional quality, but this is still a nice value for the price. It’s durable and strong enough for everything I can throw at it during my workout.”
Get Yours Today
Does it sound like the right free standing exercise bar for your needs? Then you’ll definitely want to check it out on Amazon. Click the button below to find the best prices on fitness equipment from Gold’s Gym:
#2: Stamina Power Towers Pull Up Bar Stand
- WHY POWER TOWER? Power Towers allow for many different bodyweight exercises, helping you lose...
- ALL-IN-ONE FITNESS EQUIPMENT: The versatile Stamina Power Tower 1690 can be used for pull-ups, dips,...
- STABLE AND COMFORTABLE: Secure foam hand grips at each exercise station provide stability and...
- FITS MANY SPACES: After an easy assembly, the Stamina Power Tower 1690 is a compact...
- WARRANTY INCLUDED: Comes with 5-year frame and 90 day parts warranty.
Our top pick for a cheap free standing pull up bar is this one from Stamina. Despite the affordable price, it has a ton of features that make it ideal for a large range of workouts and types of exercisers. Here are a few of the things that we particularly like about it.
- Can be used for a large variety of exercises, including pull-ups
- Weight limit of 250 pounds
- Durable steel frame
- Takes up a small footprint in your home gym or garage (49 x 42 inches)
- Ends are encased with plastic covering to protect your floor
- 5-year frame warranty and 90-day parts warranty
What do People Think About it?
“Nice, basic pull up bar stand that’s cheap, but still of decent quality. It’s easy to put together and you can do all the basic exercises you’d expect from something like this and nothing more. Overall, a great value for the price and I’m very happy with it.”
“Ideal for a very small space. Like some other reviews mentioned, it does have a bit of a swing to it. However, with correct form, it doesn’t so strive for that!”
“Lightweight and sturdy and offers a great bang for the buck in terms of fitness equipment. It’s probably the best value thing I’ve bought in years!”
Where Can I Find It?
Do you want to learn more about one of the best pull up bar stands? You can find it on Amazon. Check for for the lowest prices, and don’t forget to see if it’s eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
#3: Weider Power Tower
- Please Note: Weider is the only manufacturer and Amazon is the only authorized seller for this...
If you’re looking for one of the most trusted names in fitness equipment, then Weider is it! Their free standing pull up bar rack is top-notch and we love to recommend it to our readers. Keep on reading to find out more about why we like it so much.
- Can be used for a ton of different exercises and workouts
- Ideal for strengthening the entire upper body
- Compact and doesn’t take up a lot of floor space
- Sewn vinyl cushions with comfortable padding
“I’m a single dad to a 7 year old so don’t get a ton of time to hit the gym. Thankfully this thing, along with a few free weights are all I need to get a complete workout in once she goes to bed. It’s sturdy and durable, plus the price is certainly right.”
“The parts are very well-packed and it should arrive at your house without damage. However, it’s heavy and you may have better luck opening up the box at your door and bringing it into your house one-by-one. Strong enough for my needs and doesn’t swing like some of the other cheap ones I’ve tried before.”
“Built like a tank and super durable and strong. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a pull up bar stand, along with something that can be used for dips or push-ups too.”
Shop Now for this Pull Up Bar Stand
Do you want to find out more about this power tower from Weider? Then you’ll need to click the button below to head over to Amazon:
#4: Relife Rebuild Your Life Power Tower
- 【Safety Locknut】In order to prevent the nut from falling off in case of vibration, we adopt the...
- 【9 Levels Height Adjustment】The height adjustable range is 58.5-89''. Lowest level is designed...
- 【4 Levels Backrest Adjustment】The back cushion can be adjusted before and after based on the...
- 【Multifunction】The dip station can support many kinds of exercise types like pull-up, dips,...
- 【Customer Service】ONE-YEAR WARRANTY on main frame, LIFE WARRANTY on all other vulnerable part....
If you’re looking for an extremely versatile piece of fitness equipment, then you’ll certainly want to consider this power tower. It’s ideal for a range of exercises, including dips, pull-ups or chin-ups. Here are just a few of the things we like about it.
- Maximum weight of 330 pounds
- Durable construction (square metal tubes)
- Safety features built in, in case of vibration
- Ideal for push-ups, pull-ups, dips, knee raises, etc.
- Easy to assemble and install
What do People Think About It?
“When you look at it, you might not think it’s that secure. However, it actually is and I tested it thoroughly! Pretty easy to put together, but I recommend watching the YouTube video for some extra help with it.”
“Pretty happy with it, but I’m close the weight limit and I thought every exercise might be my last. However, it’s held strong for months now and I have to say, I think it may go the distance! It doesn’t take a ton of room as well.”
“Feels super stable and well put together. Nice grips that are easy on the hands too.”
Does it sound like the right choice for your home gym? You can check out this top-quality chin up bar stand on Amazon. Check now for the best prices and also to see if this product is eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
#5: Bowflex Body Tower
- 7 levels of adjustment that allows you to do 20+ exercises
- E-7 adjust horizontal bars let you add variety and intensity to your workouts
- Stable, commercial-grade steel frame
- Hand grips and sling straps included
- Non-absorbent foam cushioned back pad
When you think of home fitness equipment, you may certainly think Bowflex. It’s a top choice for those looking for a power tower that can be used for pull ups.
We love the adjustable resistance levels that make this machine a great choice for beginners to more advanced users. And, when you consider that this one machine works for more than 20 exercises, it’s one of the best value options out there.
Features of this Pull Up Bar Stand
- 7 levels of adjustment
- Can be used for 20+ exercises
- Strong steel frame (commercial grade)
- Hand grips and sling straps are included
- Foam back pad
- Easy to adjust
- Takes up a small space
“Ideal for circuit training type workouts and you can certainly get a total body workout with this thing, but it’s more focused on the upper body than lower body. It’s easy to adjust and certainly is durable enough.”
“Shipping took a while, as did assembly, but overall, was happy with of these things. It’s a bit of a pain in the ass to move this thing around, so would certainly recommend setting it up where you want it, and then leaving it. Gives you a great workout at home if you don’t have time to get to the gym.”
“Supports up to 300 pounds, and in my experience, it could handle this well. Just be sure to do the exercises properly without swinging or jerking around and you’ll be fine.”
Get Your Stand Alone Pull Up Bar Today
Do you want to find out more about this power rack that works for pull-ups? You can check it out on Amazon by clicking the button below:
#6: Body Champ Fitness Power Tower
- Multi-station workout tower for working upper and lower body
- Chin-up and pull-up station with multiple grip positions
- Dip station for triceps; leg raise station for quads and lower abs
- Slip-resistant foot grips double as push-up bars; height-adjustable
- Padded back and arm cushions; sturdy base sets up almost anywhere
Another top pick for a stand pull up bar is this one from Body Champ. It has a ton of excellent reviews and a number of features that you’ll love about it. Keep on reading to find out more about why it should be on the short list of pull up stands that you consider.
- Ideal for the home or office
- Small footprint
- Ideal for working out both the upper and lower body
- Perfect for chin up and pull ups with multiple grips
- Dip station, along with leg raises for ab work
- Push up bars double as foot rests
- Padded cushions
- Sturdy and durable construction
“Looked at a ton of reviews for power towers (many of them are terrible), but decided on this one. All the pieces were in the box and the assembly instructions were reasonable. The quality is better than expected and it can support a big guy like me without swaying or moving. That said, you do need to use correct technique on pull-ups and chin-ups and not swing your feet all crazy.”
“Construction and durability is good for the price. Just about my only complaint is that the grips on the pull up bar are a bit too wide for my preference. I found that I spent a lot of the exercise trying to compensate for that and never really got used to it.”
“Not a bad option and the packaging is awesome—no room for anything to break at all. Just wish there were more grip options on this thing.”
Does it sound like the right pull stand for your home or office workouts? It’s a top-quality fitness tower that does a ton of things for such a small package! Click the button below to find out more about it, and also to check and see if it’s eligible for fast, free shipping with a Prime membership:
#7: Cap Barbell Power Rack Stand
- SPECS Assembled dimensions are 46 inches wide x 50 inches deep x 85 inches high
- CONSTRUCTION The 11 and 12 gauge steel tubing allows this bench to meet and exceed ASTM testing...
- FEATURES Built in bar and weight storage. Double gusseted uprights provide exceptional stability...
- RELIABILITY Durable powder coat finish and industrial zinc hardware provide exceptional...
- TRUST Trust experience. CAP has been a pioneer in fitness for over 30 years and has locations...
If you want a simple stand alone pull bar station that does that and nothing else, then this one from Cap Barbell might be it. We LOVE the fact that it just does one thing well and doesn’t have all the bells and whistles (and longer assembly time and higher price) that the power towers do.
- Takes up a very small amount of space in your home gym
- 11/12 gauge steel tubing is extremely durable and strong
- Can support up to 750 pounds
- Built in bar and weight storage
- Variety of colours
“I was looking for a simple bar that I could do pull-ups and chin-ups on and didn’t need all the fancy hand grip options, etc. This thing does exactly what I want it to do! Just one small thing—I wouldn’t kip on it unless you added some weight to the bottom to stabilize it a bit more.”
“Easy to assemble in about an hour and is super strong and sturdy. It’s one of my best purchases in recent years and I couldn’t be happier with it!”
“You can use it for a ton of exercises—squats, bench press, pull-ups, etc. It looks simple but it’s actually quite a versatile piece of equipment.”
Where Can I Find One?
Do you want to find out more about the CAP barbell standalone pull up bar? You can check it out right here on Amazon. Click the button to find the best prices:
What to Look for a in a Free Standing Pull Up Bar Stand?
If you’re looking for a pul up bar stand, there are a number of important factors that you’ll want to consider. Here are just a few of them.
Depending on which exercises you’re doing with your pull up stand, you can put a ton of stress on it. This means that you’ll want something durable, strong and sturdy that’ll last you years, even with heavy, hard use. In general, you’ll want to opt for metal instead of plastic.
Size/Storage Options for a Stand Pull Up Bar
There are very small pull-up bars that fit into most doorways. These are ideal if you live in a small place and don’t have room for a free standing pullup bar. You can also take them travelling with you for a quick workout on the road.
However, the downside of the these ones that fit in a doorway are that you can’t do a variety of other exercises with them besides pull-ups or chin-ups.
The larger pull up stands can often be used for a variety of exercises besides just pull ups. However, they are larger and you should have a dedicated space for them.
Adjustable height pull up bars are easy to find today. If you share your home gym with others, then it’s certainly an option that you’ll want to consider. You’ll also want to think about how easy it is to adjust—some are quick and simple while others take a bit more effort.
However, you may want to opt for a non-adjustable rack if you are the only person using it and you know what height you prefer. They are usually stronger and more durable than adjustable height bars.
Height and Weight Restrictions
All fitness equipment has restrictions in terms of height and weight, and free standing pull up bars, or doorway pull up bars are no exception. This is especially true for fitness equipment that’s designed for home use which may have lower restrictions than items for a professional gym. Read the product description carefully to ensure that you’ll fit the necessary requirements.
Variety of Exercises for the Pull Up Bar Stand Tower
There are some very simple free standing pull up bars that are designed for this exercise only. There are also some power bar racks that can handle pull-ups, plus a ton of other things too like squats. What you need really depends on your needs and what you might already have in your home gym.
Price of a Pull Up Bar Stand
As with any product that you might consider buying, price is certainly a major consideration. It’s true for free standing pull up bars as well. In general, you can find a suitable one for between $100 and $200.
We strongly recommend that you check the customer reviews carefully before buying any product. The best place to check it on Amazon, at the 3-4 star reviews. They often have the most accurate depiction of an item’s true strengths and weaknesses.
How to do a Pull Up with a Pull Up Stand?
There are a few different steps you can use to do a correct pull-up. It’s important to use the correct technique to get the most value out of this exercise.
- Jump up and hold the pullup bar with your palms down, about shoulder-width apart. You can use a box to assist you if it’s too high but someone should remove it when you’re on the bar.
- Hang with straight arms and legs to the floor.
- Pull up with your arms (think about elbows going down to the floor).
- Use your abs to prevent your lower back from arching
- Keep going until your chin passes the bar.
- Lower until your arms are straight.
- Repeat as many times as you wish.
How to Do a Chin-Up?
If you can’t do a pull-up, then you may want to start with chin-ups. They are a little bit easier and are more of a workout for the arms. They’re basically the same, but you grip the bar with your palms up.
If both of these exercises are too difficult for you, consider using a resistance bad to give you something to push off against. Or, a spotter can help you too.
How to do your First Pull Up
Need more tips and tricks to get the job done? Then you’ll want to check out this short video for all the details you need to know:
Why Do Pull-Ups?
Why consider adding pull ups or chin ups to your workout routine? There are a number of reasons why you might consider it. Here are some of the most important ones.
Works all the Upper Body Muscles
In terms of all-round exercises, a pull-up may just be one of the best that you can do. It quite literally works almost all the major and minor muscles in your upper body. In terms of muscle groups, it hits the lats, traps, and deltoids to name just a few of them.
Not that you should skip all the other exercises for a well-rounded workout, but doing this one exercise is a a good place to start! Oh, and don’t forget to use different grips which target the muscles in a slightly different way for a great workout.
So when you consider how versatile of an exercise this is, a pull up stand is the perfect use of a small space.
A Goal to Shoot For
In terms of difficulty, even one pull-up is difficult for some people. That’s why it makes an ideal goal to shoot for as you build your strength up. If you can only do 1 or 2, why not aim for 10 by the end of the month, and 50 by the end of the year?
What’s the Ideal CrossFit Pull Up Bar Height?
If you incorporate pull ups or kipping pull ups into your CrossFit workouts, then you may want to know what height of bar is ideal. When you go to the gym or CrossFit box, you can usually find bars at various height to accommodate people of differing heights.
In general 8 feet is quite a standard, if not a little bit high of height for a Cross Fit pull-up bar, although if you’re a bit shorter, then you may want to opt for 7 feet. If you can only choose one height for everyone like at a gym or box, then perhaps 7.5 feet might be the best option. 9 feet is too high off the ground for most people and can be a little bit dangerous.
Of course, you can also use a box to reach a bar if necessary!
Have your Say about the Best Free Standing Chinup Bar
Do you have any tips or tricks that you’d like to share about finding the right stand alone pull up bar for your needs? Leave a comment below and let us know. We’d love to hear from you.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other workout enthusiasts, like yourself find this useful resource.
Latest posts by Tony Calder (see all)
- Pull Up Bar Stand (Free Standing): The Top 7 Picks - October 25, 2019
- Emily Abbott: Everything You Need to Know about this CrossFit Athlete - October 10, 2019
- Ricky Garard: CrossFit Athlete Tested Positive for Banned Substances - October 9, 2019
Last update on 2019-11-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API