Even though CrossFit is technically not designed for one particular sport, many marathon runners are discovering the benefits of participating in the grueling daily workouts. The WODs are designed to improve strength, stamina, and endurance, all of which are important if you want to successfully complete 25K marathons and longer. While many CrossFit experts recommend wearing a pair of supportive and lightweight training shoes during your workouts, many runners have found that they need something more from their footwear. To help you get through this year’s marathon season, we have put together brief reviews of the best cross-training shoes for running long distances.
Best CrossFit Shoes For Running Marathons – A Guide for Men and Women
These lightweight running shoes are designed specifically for a woman’s foot, and are available in several fun and bright colors that will match all your workout clothes. These women’s CrossFit shoes are perfect for weightlifting and running, and they feature a lightweight and flexible construction. The rubber sole provides plenty of traction on all surfaces, and the breathable mesh upper keeps your feet cool and comfortable during long runs.
- The rubber sole is specifically designed to provide traction on all types of surfaces, along with a stable base
- These cross-training shoes are designed to fit a woman’s narrower foot
- Medial and lateral support gives you additional stability during runs and lifts
- It should be mentioned that these shoes may not comfortably fit women with wider feet
- The F-Lite traction on the shoes may not be ideal for women who typically work out at a CrossFit box
Nike Frees 5.0 TR
Designed for both men and women, these lightweight running shoes will get you in shape for your next marathon run. The mesh upper keeps your feet cool and dry while advanced technology ensures you get a durable and lightweight cross-training shoe. The rubber sole features flexible grooves that give you a more natural run, and the cushioned midsole protects your feet from impact shock without adding any additional weight.
- In styles for men and women, these CrossFit shoes are ideal for marathon training
- The shoes are designed to be extremely lightweight, and they give you the feeling of running barefoot while still providing plenty of cushioning
- You also have the advantage of Nike technology for a lightweight and durable cross-training shoe
- These shoes may be too bulky for runners who prefer to feel the ground underneath their feet
- Some runners may find that these CrossFit shoes do not provide enough support or stability for their ankles
Some athletic shoes are simply designed for any activity, and this is true of the Nano 2.0. These lightweight and durable cross-training shoes feature a synthetic and mesh construction that will keep your feet cool and comfortable throughout your longest runs. The rubber sole provides plenty of traction on all types of surfaces without slowing you down. The mesh upper provides cooling air flow and also helps reduce embarrassing foot odor. You also get the advantage of lightweight midsole cushioning that prevents injuries from impact shock. Read full review>>
- The lightweight construction is ideal for long-distance runners who do not want to worry about leg or muscle fatigue
- The midsole cushioning will protect against impact shock for a comfortable and injury-free run
- The front-lacing closure ensures a secure fit for both men and women
- These cross-training shoes do run smaller and may not be comfortable for athletes with wider feet
- The lower cut may not be supportive enough for all types of runners
Inov-8 Road-X 233
This cross-training shoe was developed specifically for men who are training for long-distance runs. Created by the innovative designers at Inov-8, this pair of running shoes includes all of the features you need to run with confidence and style. You will love the bright colors and the durable rubber sole that was created with long-distances runners in mind. These running shoes will also provide support for plantar fasciitis suffererss, and the injected foam midsole is lightweight and comfortable. The slight heel-to-toe drop gives you just enough lift while still giving you the flat and stable surface you need to complete your races on time.
- It is designed specifically as a long-distance running shoe and can also be used for CrossFit WODs
- It features additional support for the plantar fasciitis ligament and can prevent further injuries due to long-distance running
- The slight heel-to-toe drop gives you an extra lift during sprints and weight training but still lets you run on a flat and stable base.
- While there is support and cushioning, it might not be enough for some athletes who prefer softer padding when they are running
- The low-profile design may not be supportive enough for athletes with weaker ankles
Men and women can both benefit from these minimalist running shoes. The synthetic construction is lightweight and durable, and you will appreciate the antibacterial treatment that reduces sweat and odor after a long 25K marathon. The rubber sole provides plenty of traction for running on all types of surfaces, and the 4 mm differential between the heel and toe gives you a little boost of speed when you need it the most. With colors and styles to match any outfit, you will love the way your feet feel after running in these cross-training shoes.
- The durable and lightweight construction is ideal for long-distance runners and will not cause leg or muscle fatigue
- The mesh upper provides cooling air flow that will also reduce moisture and odor-causing bacteria
- The front-lacing closure provides a secure and comfortable fit
- The light traction on the soles may not be enough for athletes that frequently work out in a CrossFit box
- The shoes are narrower than similar models, which might be uncomfortable for some men and women with wider feet