You don’t have to own any equipment to do CrossFit workouts and exercises, but it is nice to have. The freedom to use your own equipment whenever and however you want is a liberating experience, and you will notice a difference in your workouts. If you have ever gotten strange looks for doing CrossFit in a regular gym, you’ll love being able to do all of your WODs in private, and you don’t have to pay monthly membership fees. Of course, you’ll need to check out this CrossFit equipment list to get all the gear you need.
With just a few pieces of exercise equipment, you can start to build your own personal fitness center. To help you get started, we put together a CrossFit equipment list that includes everything from the basic ropes and kettlebells to the extras like mats, rollers, fitness watches and even a rowing machine. Pick and choose your equipment for your own unique CrossFit experience, or simply read through our list and get ideas for your next WOD.
Recommended CrossFit Equipment List
Okay, let’s get to the top recommendations for CrossFit gear you’ll need for your next WOD, at the gym, or at home.
#1: Speed Jump Rope
This jump rope will let you do double and speed jumps and is available in several cool colours. The durable plastic handles come with a two-year warranty, and the rope’s length is easily adjustable. With a 10′ length, this rope is long enough for jumpers 6’6 and under.
Check it out for yourself over on Amazon:
Or, check out the rest of our top picks here: Best Jump Rope for CrossFit.
#2: Bear Komplex Grips
One of the must-have items for any CrossFit, lifting, or gymnastics workout is a pair of handgrips. They do not only help to prevent slipping when you’re gripping slippery rings or bars, but they’ll protect your hands from cuts and blisters too.
There are a ton of options on the market today for this kind of product, but Bear Komplex is one of the best. They’re lightweight, extremely durable (4x stitching) and the wrist strap won’t dig into, or cut your wrists.
There are a number of different options for them, including 2, or 3 holes and leather or carbon fibre. Please note that the leather ones stretch a little bit, while the carbon ones. You can also get them in quite a wide variety of colours.
You can find out more details about Bear Komplex Grips here:
- 🏆CRUSH YOUR AT-HOME WORKOUTS: Bear KompleX genuine leather Hand Grips are the perfect gloves for...
- 💪DURABLE QUADRUPLE STITCHING will ensure full support and stability when using the Bear KompleX...
- 📈MEASURE CORRECTLY: To ensure you get the best out of your Hand Grips, make sure to measure your...
- 💯SUPERIOR LEATHER WILL REDUCE SLIPPING: on the bar and allow you to keep banging those pull-ups...
#3: 15 Pound Kettlebell
These versatile kettlebells are great for strength training and fast repetitions. They weight 15 lbs apiece and were designed for a total-body strengthening and muscle-toning workout. A thirty-day warranty is also included with the kettlebells.
Check them out on Amazon, and don’t forget that you’ll usually get free shipping with a Prime membership:
Or, you’ll want to consider some of our top picks here: Best Adjustable Kettlebells.
#4: Abmat Abdominal Exerciser
Just because your CrossFit WOD calls for sit-ups and other core strengthening exercises doesn’t mean you have to be uncomfortable. This mat supports your lower back without rolling, so you can concentrate on pushing yourself to your limits.
Sounds like exactly what you need to get those toned, buff abs? Find the lowest prices on Amazon.com:
Essential CrossFit Equipment
#5: 15 Pound Medicine Ball
This durable workout ball protects and cushions your lower back to help you avoid injuries and muscle strains. The 14” ball’s unique design will hold its shape throughout your entire workout and help you keep your balance. But, if you want some equipment that helps you achieve better balance, consider a wobble board.
Complete all your core-strengthening reps faster and feel the difference in your muscles. You can find some great deals on medicine balls over on Amazon:
#6: Resistance Bands
This tough and durable jump rope was designed for speed and vertical jumps. Improve your jump times for your strength training exercises, and eliminate back pain with the ropes flexible construction. This rope is available in several different weights, and they all include a one-year manufacturer’s warranty.
Check out resistance bands over on Amazon to find the lowest prices:
#7: Gymnastics Rings
With so many of the Hero workouts and CrossFit challenges requiring multiple sets of pull-ups, push-ups, iron crosses, and more, these exercise rings can help you accomplish them all. Capable of bearing up to 1,000 lbs, you know that these rings will support you through everything. Work all of your muscles and improve all of your CrossFit times with these easy to install gymnastic rings.
They certainly belong on any CrossFit equipment list. You can check them out for yourself to learn more over on Amazon:
#8: Garage Fit Exercise Rope
This military-grade training and jump rope is waterproof and weatherproof, and it can be used for most of your CrossFit rope training exercises. Jump, climb, and even use it in competition rope battling challenges. The three-strand poly dacron design can stand up to anything. A bonus DVD with eighteen exercises, all intended to maximize your strength training workouts, is also included.
Find out more on Amazon.com:
Or, you may also want to see some of our top picks here: Top 5 Gym Climbing Ropes.
Everything you Need to Know About CrossFit Gear
#9: Roman Chair
This steel and leather-padded extension bench make it easy for you to stretch out your muscles before and after your workouts. The bench also supports you throughout your sit-ups and other core-strengthening exercises. The foam leg holders are also adjustable, so you can be supported no matter your position.
You can easily find out top picks right here: Best Roman Chair. Or, check out one of these favourite exercise tools on Amazon:
#10: Speed Resistance Training Parachute
If you are training for one of CrossFit’s marathons or even if you simply want to build up your endurance, this quick-release parachute can dramatically increase your leg strength and speed. The Velcro closure keeps the parachute firmly in place until you quickly release it when ready. A free training guide is also included with the parachute.
Check it out for yourself here:
#11: Bear KompleX Knee Sleeve
- LUNGE INTO COMFORT: No pain, no gain? Wrong. With Bear KompleX crush leg day with the right support...
- MINIMIZE YOUR RISK OF INJURY: Prevent those annoying issues that commonly occur with regular...
- MASTER YOUR SQUAT: Pro athletes wear knee sleeves to increase their knee proprioception –...
- CHOSEN BY THE PROS: When you choose Bear KompleX knee sleeves, you’re wearing what pro athletes...
- OUR GUARANTEE: We want you to feel confident about your choice. We’re serious about all our...
If you’re looking for some additional support for your knees when doing some heavy lifting, for sports, running or just about any sort of exercise for that matter, then you’ll want to consider getting a knee sleeve.
They keep your knee warm while providing some compression at the same time. This can help to increase blood flow, making them a great choice if you have weak knees, or hope to prevent injuries in the future.
One of the top picks for CrossFit knee sleeve is the one from Bear Komplex. Not only does it come in a variety of stylish colours and designs, but it also comes in different thickness options (5 mm and 7 mm) and sizes (4 to chose from). You can learn more about it here:
#12: Barbell Wrist Wrap
If you are using a lot of CrossFit’s weight training exercises, then you need to make sure your wrists are protected. These lightweight and comfortable wrist wraps give your wrist the added stability you need for all of your free-weight reps without hindering your movements. A thirty-day warranty is also included with these injury-preventing wrist wraps.
Learn more here:
#13: CrossFit Bag or Backpack
Okay, so now that you have all this CrossFit gear, you’re going to need a workout bag to put it all in, right? There are a number of different options to choose from, including basic duffel bags to workout backpacks and then some very nice higher-end options in both of these categories.
We recommend looking for the following features for a CrossFit bag:
- Separate compartment for shoes to keep all your other gear from getting stinky
- A wet compartment for a towel or sweaty clothes
- Padded compartment for valuables
- Water bottle holder
- Backpack, or duffel bag that converts into a backpack if you’re going to be walking to the gym
Check out some of our top recommendations for bags and backpacks that are ideal for CrossFit and other gym workouts:
#14: CrossFit Shoes
Perhaps the most important thing you need for your next CrossFit workout is a good pair of shoes. Without them, you’re just asking for injuries.
Take a look around during your next workout and you’ll notice lots of different styles, everything from lifting shoes to barefoot trail runners. We generally recommend sticking with something in the middle like the Nike Metcons or Reebok Nanos. Or, you can take a look at our comparison chart for all our top CrossFit shoe picks:
#15: Power Rack for Squats and Deadlifts
One important item to note is that this cage bench comes with J hooks and NOT the shorter pins. The locking pins are J pins and are 1” in diameter. There are 28 holes, placed 2” apart for plenty of options, and the bench has a weight capacity of 700 lbs. Constructed from 12 gauge steel, this strong and long-lasting workout bench is perfect for many of your daily CrossFit workouts.
Check it out on Amazon.com:
#16: Indoor Rowing Machine
If you are going to splurge on a complete full-body workout machine, then this adjustable indoor rowing machine was designed for you. The quiet flywheel design makes it perfect for any indoor home gym, and the adjustable footrest fits almost any shoe size. A quick-release frame makes it easy to store the rowing machine when it is not being used. A five-year warranty is also included in the machine’s frame.
You can check it out for yourself on Amazon.com:
#17: Weight Bench
A weight bench or adjustable exercise bench can be very useful for a number of situations that you might encounter during a CrossFit workout. Or, you may want to do some cross-training with things like tricep dips or chest presses. Whatever the case, you can check out some of our top picks right here:
- BUILT TO LAST: Get results with our work out bench. It has an 800-pound capacity, a triangular...
- UPGRADED COMFORT AND SUPPORT: Our weightlifting bench has a 1 3/4" thick foam cushion and an...
- FULL BODY WORKOUT: Perform a wide array of functional and strength training exercises, including but...
- STURDY AND EASY TO STORE: Made from powder-coated solid tubular steel frame construction, this...
- ADJUSTABLE BACKREST: Quickly and easily adapt the folding workout bench to incline, flat, and...
#18: Fitness Watches
Do you want to keep track of things like your heart rate, steps and sleep schedule easily? Then you’ll definitely want to consider a fitness tracker or fitness watch. There are a ton of great options on the market today at very reasonable prices. And with an increase in technology, prices have come down for these fitness trackers such that they’re affordable for almost everybody.
Find out some of our top choices here: Best Fitness Trackers.
- Use amazon Alexa built in to get quick news and information, check the weather, set timers and...
- Based on your heart rate, time asleep and restlessness, sleep score helps you better understand your...
- Get a 90-day free trial of the Fitbit Premium to help you stay active, sleep well and manage stress....
- With a larger display and an always on option, your information?s always a quick glance away (always...
- Play your favorite songs and playlists with Spotify app controls on your wrist. Also make secure...
#19: Pull-Up Assist Band
If you want to do a pull-up or chin up but can’t quite there, then you might want to consider a pull up assist band. They can give you a little bit of an extra boost and make it slightly easier to do these exercises without a spotter to help you. Find out some of the best options here:
#20: CrossFit Gloves
If you find that your hands are constantly getting torn up, then you may want to consider this piece of CrossFit equipment: gloves or wraps. In particular, they can protect your hands during rope climbs or when lifting weights. No more rips and tears! Here are some of the best choices:
#21: Barbell Pad
If you do squats or hip thrusts, you may notice that your neck is starting to get sore. It can really take a beating from the Olympic bar, especially if you’re lifting heavy. A nice solution to this is to use a barbell squat pad that’ll cushion and protect.
Do you want to find out more about them and see the best ones? Check this out:
- 🍑SAVE MONEY WITH THIS BUNDLE PACK - Each pack comes with ONE Kickback Ankle Strap and ONE Barbell...
- 🍑TRAIN IN STYLE - With our cute squat pad and leg straps for cable machine attachment, you'll...
- 🍑 SCULPT AND TONE WITH ULTIMATE COMFORT - Our barbell neck pad is constructed using soft, thick,...
- 🍑 HAVE THE LEAN BEACH BODY YOU’VE ALWAYS DREAMED OF - Leg day will never be the same. Make this...
- 🍑LIFETIME MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE - We are confident you'll LOVE our products! If for any reason you...
#22: Workout Headband
Okay, let’s get real here for a second. If you’re going to do a CrossFit WOD, then you’re going to get sweaty. And of course, nobody likes getting sweat in their eyes so you’re going to need a workout headband. The best ones are sweat absorbing, comfortable to wear and great at wicking the sweat away.
Find out more about these popular CrossFit items right here:
- OD GREEN Temple Tape Sweatband
- Stretchy, breathable material, Absorbs & Evaporates Sweat 8 times Faster than an average Cotton...
- Super slim & Lightweight (weighs less than half an ounce) | Perfect to be worn on their own or under...
- Specially Blended Materials provide All Grip, and No Slip | The Sweatband stays comfortably on your...
- Great indoors and Outdoors, They will keep ears warm during the cold or Wick sweat away during...
#23: Shaker Bottle
Are you the type of person who likes to have a protein shake after a workout? Yes? Then you’re going to need this key piece of basic CrossFit equipment. I mean sure, you could use a regular old water bottle to mix up your protein powder, but they just don’t work that well, right?
A far better option is to level up with a protein shaker bottle that’s specially designed for this purpose. Find out the best options here:
- Expands the capacity of the BlenderBottle ProStak shaker cup to hold large protein, meal...
- Unique BlenderBottle ProStak system interlocking jars with individual lids make it possible to carry...
- Includes one one 250cc jar, two 150cc jars, two 100cc jars, and two Twist 'n Lock pill storage trays
- Compatible with any Blender Bottle Pro Stak shaker cup system / Leak-proof SureSeal flip cap, secure...
- Durable, dishwasher safe (bottle on top rack only), and BPA- and Phthalate-free
#24: Shin Guards
Besides knee-high socks, many people also opt for shin guards during CrossFit, specifically for deadlifts, rope climbs, and box jumps. They can help to protect your skin from cuts, abrasions and bruises and are considered to be essential CrossFit equipment by many people.
While you can use shinguards that are designed for something like soccer, there are certainly some other options to consider that are specifically designed for this sport. You can see them all here:
Or, pick up this CrossFit workout equipment on Amazon.
- PROTECTION FROM ROPE CLIMBS AND BOX JUMPS - RockGuards are designed to protect your shins during...
- DURABLE SHIN GUARD - 3rd generation RockGuards are made with strong and protective 5mm neoprene...
- STAYS IN PLACE - Organically designed to conform and move with your body, with a silicone bead to...
- DRAINS & DRIES FAST - A mesh back and perforated neoprene front means you stay comfortable and dry....
- PERFORM YOUR BEST - Don’t stop training because of an injury - protect yourself before injury...
#25: Weightlifting Belt
If you like to lift heavy during your CrossFit WODs, then you may want to consider picking up a weightlifting belt. Many people consider it to be a key piece of CrossFit training equipment for heavy weight workouts.
They’ll help give you the stability and support you need in your lower back so that you don’t have to worry about this area of your body when you’re going for your personal best.
There are a number of top options to consider for both men and women. To see some of our top options that are ideal for CrossFit, be sure to check this out: Best Weightlifting Belts.
Or, head over to Amazon to find out our top option for this piece of equipment for CrossFit.
- INCREASED CORE STABILITY: One of the primary benefits of a weightlifting belt is increased core...
- DURABILITY: The Squat and Deadlift Belt is made from Leather, a durable material that can withstand...
- IMPROVED FORM: A weight training belt can also help improve your form. The lift belt can help you...
- COMFORT: The ProFitness Weight lifting belt is made from material that is soft to the touch and easy...
- AFFORDABLE: Compared to other types of belts, the deadlifting belt is an affordable option. The...
There are a number of common questions that people have about CrossFit gear. Here are the answers to some of the most popular ones.
What is a barbell in CrossFit?
A barbell is a long metal bar with weight plates that can be added or removed. It is used in exercises such as squats, deadlifts, cleans, and snatches.
What are kettlebells used for in CrossFit?
Kettlebells are cast iron weights with handles attached. They are used for exercises like kettlebell swings, Turkish get-ups, kettlebell snatches, and goblet squats.
What is a medicine ball in CrossFit?
A medicine ball is a weighted ball used for dynamic exercises such as wall balls, medicine ball slams, sit-up throws, and rotational throws.
What are gymnastic rings used for in CrossFit?
Gymnastic rings are suspended straps with rings attached. They are used for exercises like ring dips, ring push-ups, muscle-ups, and ring rows.
What is a rowing machine in CrossFit?
A rowing machine, also known as an ergometer or rower, simulates the action of rowing and provides a full-body cardio and strength workout. It is commonly used in CrossFit workouts.
What is a jump rope used for in CrossFit?
A jump rope is a simple piece of equipment used for double-unders, single-unders, and other jump rope variations. It improves coordination, cardiovascular endurance, and agility.
What is a pull-up bar in CrossFit?
A pull-up bar is a horizontal bar used for exercises like pull-ups, chin-ups, kipping pull-ups, and muscle-ups. It targets the muscles of the upper body, particularly the back and arms.
What is a wall ball target in CrossFit?
A wall ball target is a designated spot on a wall or rig used for wall ball exercises. Athletes throw a medicine ball to a specific height on the target, combining squatting and throwing movements.
Have your say about the CrossFit Equipment you Need
What are the must-have pieces of CrossFit equipment that you need for a gym workout? What about at home? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest. It’ll help other fitness buffs, like yourself, find this useful resource guide.
Last update on 2023-08-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API