If you’re looking for the best pair of shoes for a HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workout, then you’ve come to the right place. Read our buying guide packed with information to help you find the right HIIT shoe for your needs.
Here’s a sneak peak at some of our top choices:
- Reebok CrossFit Nano 8
- Nike Metcon 4
- Reebok CrossFit Speed TR
- Ryka Women’s Influence Cross Training Shoe
- Puma Cell Riaze
- Nike Metcon DSX FlyKnit
- Asics Conviction X Cross Trainer
- Xero Minimalist Shoes
How does a HIIT Workout Work?
When you do this kind of workout, you basically push yourself to the max for short amounts of time. Then, you have some recovery periods where you rest, either passively, or actively doing some less intense activity.
This type of training gets your heart rate up, and burns more fat in a shorter amount of time. There are some studies which show that the calorie burn, post-workout is higher than regular, long-duration workouts.
Another advantage to these kind of workouts is that they often require very little in the way of equipment. Instead, they may just require some basics things like a jump rope or dumbbells.
How to Prevent Injuries from HIIT Workouts
This sort of high intensity workout can lead to injuries if not done properly. Here are a few tips for how you can avoid injuries:
- Warm-up adequately
- Make sure that you’re following a legit workout program or a certified coach
- Form and technique is very important
- Rest between intervals
- If you’re going to exercise every day, be sure to alternate muscle groups
- Ensure proper hydration and nutrition
And of course, you’ll want to stick with a pair of top-quality athletic shoes.
Top Pick for HIIT Shoe: Reebok Nano 8
- Reebok Shoes. High abrasion rubber outsole for traction
- Fully engineered woven technology providing enhanced breathability
One of the best choices for HIIT workout shoe is the Reebok Nano 8 for Men and Women. It’s one of the best cross-training shoes on the market today. Although it’s designed for CrossFit, many of the same features that make it ideal for this sport will also work for HIIT workouts.
Keep on reading to find out more about it.
- Figure 8 design in the shoe’s upper for optimal breathability
- Flexweave upper
- Flex grooves along the forefoot and outsole for added flexibility
- High abrasion rubber outsole
- Toe Tection technology offers extra protection and durability
- Dual density midsole foam unit
- 4 mm heel toe drop
- Ideal for CrossFit and indoor activity
- Lower profile for extra ankle mobility
- Interior heel sleeve
- Fits true to size
What do People Think About It?
“The stability and comfort from these shoes is without rival. Imagine doing your squats, climbs, and jumps in a pair of house-slippers—that’s how my feet feel in them! I decided on the Nano 8 over the Nike Metcons and I’m happy that I did!”
“Very comfortable, even if you’re wearing them for a long time. The sock like sleeve around is very comfortable, plus the insole has a bit of bounce to it. The Nano 7’s were terrible for running because they were so stiff, but these ones get the job done.”
You can easily find this top-quality training shoe online. Check now for the lowest prices and to see if this sneaker is eligible for free shipping with an Amazon Prime membership:
Reebok Nano 8 Review: One of the Best Shoes for HIIT
Nike Metcon 4
- Breathable mesh upper features an innovative, synthetic textured print for added reinforcement.
- Flywire built into the lacing system helps keep the foot secure and locked into place.
- Fully cushioned collar with a slim and flexible tongue. Soft and breathable fabric linings.
- Sticky rubber outsole delivers optimal traction and grip and delivers long-lasting durability and...
- A heel clip helps stabilizes during side-to-side movements
Along with the Reebok Nano line, Nike Metcons are one of the most popular shoes for CrossFit of high-intensity interval training workouts. They’e ideal for lifting, do a nice job at jumps and sprints and also have enough support and stability for lateral movements.
These factors make them one of the best HIIT shoes you can buy. Here are some more details about the Nike Metcon 4 for Men and Women.
- Recommend for indoor athletic use only
- Narrower than average fit
- Solid rubber outsole with a tristar tread pattern for durability and traction
- Mesh upper for breathable comfort
- 4 mm drop-in insole that substitutes a midsole for balance and comfort.
- 3D haptic technology provides greater durability
- A wide range of color options.
“So light and fast, but also stable and durable. The soles are dense and make a cool sound when they hit the floor, but the upper is light and airy and my feet stay cool and comfortable. Probably the best pair of gym shoes I’ve ever tried, and a big step up in quality from the Nike Zoom Fits that I was using before.”
“I traded in my New Balance Minimus sneakers for the Metcon 4 because I wanted something a bit beefier when lifting. I’m happy that I did. These are a very solid all-round shoe, but please note that they’re not really flexible enough for running around in for more than a few minutes.”
Where Can I Buy Them?
You can learn more about the Nike Metcon 4 online. Check now for the best prices:
Learn More about HIIT Workouts
Reebok CrossFit Speed TR Shoe
- Woven jacquard upper
- Low-cut design
- High-abrasion rubber outsole
- 3DFuseFrame technology
Another top option for best HIIT shoe is the Reebok CrossFit Speed. They’re quite similar to the Nano 8 except that they’re built for speed. This makes them ideal for workouts that are heavy on the sprinting, jumping rope and other quick movements.
What makes them ideal for high-intensity interval training? The fact that they’re light, breathable and have a ton of support for lateral movements as well as cushioning for jumps. It’s a nice shoe at a great price and one of our favourites for this kind of workout.
Keep on reading to learn more about them
- The lightest of the Reebok CrossFit shoes
- Ultra-soft, responsive, shock-absorbing foam
- Metasplit flex grooves which increase stability
- Smooth transitions and capable of explosive power
- TPU piece allows sliding during handstands
- Breathable mesh upper
- Low-cut design for added ankle flexibility
What do People Think About Them?
“Up until now, I’ve just used running shoes for all my sporting activities. I started doing CrossFit and HIIT workouts, so decided to get a pair of cross-training shoes. After much research, I decided on the CrossFit speed from Reebok and couldn’t be happier. They’re light and have a ton of grip. But, they’re stable and also ideal for lifting,”
“Feel pretty good on my feet, but kind of stiff the first few times you use them. They do loosen up with time though and it becomes not such a big deal. They’re ideal for any sort of indoor gym workout.”
“Flat bottomed, and designed for circuit or CrossFit type workouts.”
Where Can I Get Them?
You can find these top-quality training shoes on Amazon. Check now for the best prices on athletics shoes, along with deals that include free shipping:
Ryka Women’s Influence Cross Training Shoe
- Padded tongue and collar
- Flex-Foil and Direct-Fuse support layers
- Precise-Return bouncy insole
- Dual density foam midsole with high impact N-Gage EVA energy return provides shape retention and...
- Traction outsole with footprint design
A top pick for the best women’s HIIT shoes are the Ryka Influence. Ryka shoes are specifically designed for women’s narrower feet. Instead of just being smaller version of men’s shoes, they’re designed differently. The result are some great fitting shoes and thousands of happy customers.
Ryka Influence training shoes are light in weight, have a breathable mesh upper and offer some excellent shock absorption and cushioning. All of these factors make them a nice pick for interval training or other workouts where there are a variety of challenging activities.
- Grippy rubber sole
- Unique lace-up system
- Padded tongue and collar
- Flex-Foil and Direct-Fuse layers for additional support
- Responsive insole
- Pivot point traction system
- Narrow heel designed for women
- Roomy in the toe box
- Mesh upper for great breathability
- Dual impact midsole for superior shock absorption
- Nice color and style options
User Reviews for the Ryka Women’s Influence Training Shoes
“With high arches and a narrow heel, it’s quite difficult for me to find sports shoes that don’t leave my feet super sore by the end of a workout. I was pleasantly surprised by these ones and my feet are still happy after a few months with them. I’ll be ordering another pair when these ones wear out (no signs yet though, they’re quite durable).”
“For the price, they work extremely well and I’m super happy with them. I use them at the gym for CrossFit workouts, as well as sports with the kids and walking.”
“I’m on my feet all day for work as an ER nurse so I need a pair of shoes that can stand up to the test. These ones? After a 12 hour shift my feet don’t ache which is good enough for me.”
Learn More About Them
Puma Cell Riaze Training Shoes for Women
- Run-Train Performance Sneaker
- Puma Black/Steel Gray
Another sneaker to consider for a HIIT workout is the Puma Cell Riaze. Of the shoes on this list, it’s probably the lightest and most breathable one. If you’re on a budget, it’s also one of the most affordable options.
- Breathable synthetic and mesh construction on the upper to keep your feet cool and dry while also helping to prevent embarrassing foot odor.
- Cushioned mid sole and heel for added protection.
- Lacing closure for a snug and comfortable fit
- Several fashionable colors and styles to match any of your workout outfits, with the Puma logo on the side
- Also some more plain colors (grey/black) that make them suitable for work as well
- Low-cut sneakers
- Fits true to size
- Excellent customer service from this company
“I wear them to work all day (I’m an ER doctor) because I’m on my feet literally all day. They are very comfortable, reasonably priced and look decent too.”
“I got these to use for my gym workouts, especially HIIT because I didn’t want to wear out my very expensive running shoes. They have some nice cushioning and support, especially for lateral movements. They are stable enough to lift weights in as well. Overall, I’m very happy to have found an affordable training shoe.”
“I have low arches and some heel problems (plantar fasciitis) so have to be careful about what I put on my feet. These are very comfortable and I use them almost every single time I leave my house.”
Where to Get Them?
You can find the best deals on athletic shoes like the Puma Cell Riaze online. Check now for the lowest prices:
Nike Metcon DSX Flyknit 2
Rounding out our list of the best shoes for a HIIT workout is the Nike Metcon DSX 2. It’s a top-quality trainer that’s actually quite similar to the Nike Metcon 4, except that is has a bootie like fit, and a slightly higher heel.
It’s made for high intensity workouts and can handle just about anything you might throw at them. They can handle sprints or short runs, jumping, lifting and lateral movements with ease.
- 6 mm heel toe drop
- Eco friendly construction
- Bootie like fit
- Heel clip
- Breathable mesh upper
- Nice level of cushioning
What People Are Saying About Them
“I decided to give these a try after using No bull trainers which were great for lifting but not for running or jumping, basically all the other stuff that you’d encounter during a CrossFit workout. I’m super happy with them. Still great for the weights, but a bit more flexible for cardio or box jumps.”
“Nice and comfy, especially for lifting and rope climbing. So far, durable as well after a few months with them now.”
“Maybe my all-time favourite pair of CrossFit shoes, far better than the Reebok Nano 8 that I’d previously been using. Also prefer this to the Nike Metcon 4. Seriously, it’s probably the best pair of cross-trainers that I’ve ever had on my feet!”
Where Can I Get the Nike Metcon DSX Flyknit 2?
You can easily find these top-quality CrossFit shoes on Amazon.com. Check now for the lowest prices and also to find the best deals that include free shipping:
Nike Metcon DSX Flyknit 2 Review
Asics Conviction X Cross Training Shoe
- RhynoSkin Synthetic Leather: An abrasion and tear resistant synthetic leather for increased upper...
- Perforated Sock liner: Optimizes moisture drainage and improves breathability.
- Integrated Lace Garage: Complies with rules regarding laces.
- Seamless Construction: The use of seamless materials reduces the potential for irritation and...
The next choice for HIIT workout shoe is the Asics Conviction x 2.
These cross training shoes from Asics are ideal for a range of indoor workouts. They’re super comfortable, durable and have some excellent user reviews online.
As far as workout shoes go, these trainers from Asics are one of our top picks. They are flat and stable enough for weightlifting, durable and grippy enough for rope climbing but are light and comfortable enough for sprints or other kinds of cardio.
Key Features of the Asics Conviction X Trainer
- Durable and grippy rubber sole made from high abrasion rubber
- RhynoSkin synthetic leather upper is very durable, but still has a nice degree of breathability
- Perforated sock liner fit
- Innovative, integrated lacing system
- Seamless construction that reduces friction
- Ideal for CrossFit, HIIT, jumping rope or Insanity workouts
- Plush collar and padded upper
“Really nice pair of shoes that are great for any sort of gym workout, including CrossFit, HIIT workouts or Zumba. The only thing I don’t love about them is that they’re a bit heavy and clunky and are certainly not for running. However, they’re not designed for this type of workout and overall, I’m really happy with them.”
“Looks sharp and are ideal for working out in. You can do dynamic movements in them easily and the flat heel is nice for squats or similar exercises. Love the very reasonable price as well.”
“Adequate arch support and feel really comfortable on my feet. Maybe the best Asics shoe for CrossFit workouts in my opinion. Super happy that my trainer recommended them to me.”
If you want to learn more about these workout shoes, then you’ll need to head over to Amazon to learn more:
Xero Barefoot Shoes
If you’re looking for a pair of shoes for your next high intensity workout, then you might want to consider Xero Barefoot Shoes. They are a minimal shoes with no heel to toe drop and that allow you to have very good contact with the ground.
Some people love this style of shoe, while others hate it. What’s right for you is mostly a matter of personal preference. However, if you want something on your feet that isn’t big and clunky, then these might be right for you.
- 5.5 mm TrueFeel rubber allows you to get feedback from the ground
- Optional 2 mm insole. Take it out if you want a more “barefoot” feel
- Around 7 ounces in weight, far lighter than some traditional cross-trainers or runners
- Secure fit with heel and instep straps
- For use with, or without socks
- 100% vegan friendly materials
- 5000 mile sole warranty
- Not waterproof but highly breathable and should dry very quickly
- 45-day return policy
- Top-notch customer service
What do People Think About Them?
“The sole is simple, but durable and they also have a nice warranty on it as well. The general design is nice and although the shoe is kind of roomy, my feet feel pretty secure in them. I use them for quick jogs, at the gym, and when doing errands or playing sports with the kids. I’d definitely buy another pair!”
“Very well made and also quite comfortable. They’re roomier and wider than other barefoot style shoes. Please note: they really do run quite small so pay attention to that fact when you’re ordering them. I made that mistake and had to do an exchange (free in the US).”
“Impressed and unlike most other minimal shoes I’ve tried, these ones don’t have any big issues as far as I can see. I like the little bit of padding, which means that you can use them on just about any surface, including on the trail or at the gym. The way they’re designed with the zero drop means they’re just easier on the body.”
Order Yours Today
You can learn more about Xero shoes on the company website. Click the button to learn more about why they might be the right shoes for your next HIIT workout:
What Should I Look for in a Pair of HIIT Shoes?
There are a number of things to look for in a pair of High-Intensity Interval training shoes. Here are some of the most important things to consider:
Perhaps the most important thing to think about is the sole. You’ll want a grippy rubber one that’ll allow you to not slip around during your workout.
Next up, you’ll want a shoe that feels comfortable on your feet. It should have excellent cushioning for things like jumping rope or other kinds of jumps.
Lightweight and Breathable
In order for your feet to stay happy during the workout, you’ll want a shoe that’s very light in weight and also quite breathable. A mesh upper will allow for excellent air flow.
In a pair of HIIT shoes, you’ll want to look for something with superior shock absorbency. These shoes can absorb the force from each foot strike and help to prevent injuries.
Finally, you’ll want to consider a shoe that has good support for sideways, or lateral movement. You’ll do lots of this kind of activity during a HIIT workout.
What about Minimalist Shoes or No Shoes For HIIT Workouts?
Minimal, barefoot shoes, or no shoes at all are kind of all the rage these days. People are running barefoot, doing CrossFit with minimalist shoes and are wondering if they can do HIIT workouts like this too.
To date, the evidence is kind of inconclusive. Many people theorize that because there are many injuries despite running with supportive, well-cushioned shoes, maybe it’s better to go without.
However, the science doesn’t really support this. Our advice? Stick with a good pair of cross training shoes like the ones on this list for your next HIIT workout. Then, keep your eye on the research to see if more conclusive results can be drawn about minimalist shoes.
Have your Say about the Best Shoes for HIIT Workouts
What are your thoughts about the best training shoes for HIIT workouts? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Latest posts by Anne Calderson (see all)
- Top CrossFit Treadmills for Home & Gym | Treadmill Reviews - May 10, 2019
- New Balance Mx608 Review: The Right Cross Trainer for You? - May 2, 2019
- Brooks Glycerin 17 Review: The Right Running Shoe for You? - April 30, 2019
Last update on 2019-06-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API